Mold Buildup At Home? Take Note Of 3 Dangers Of Exposure To Your Kids

by Mother Huddle Staff
Mold Buildup At Home

Being a parent is a tough job. Besides working yourself down to the bone at work, you also have to watch over your kids to ensure a good relationship with them. However, on top of balancing those two full-time jobs, doing maintenance on your home is another problem in your hands.

With the holidays coming in, you’ll end up working double-time to include fixing up your home in your list of tasks. If you’re the type of person who only does deep cleaning before and after the holiday season, then you might stumble into some nasty surprises for not stirring up the interior of your house often.

And, one of those surprises comes in the form of mold.

How To Tell There’s Mold

For those who aren’t too familiar with the concept yet, mold isn’t a kind of bacteria. Instead, it’s a fungus that releases spores to reproduce. But, before it can do that, mold has a requirement it needs to be filled first, and that is to find a wet surface because one of water’s many uses is that it quickens the decomposition process. Since fungus ‘eats’ off decay, any damp surface becomes an ideal breeding ground.

It’s mentioned earlier how mold lets out spores to spread its influence. So, you can quickly identify it by its musty smell. However, if you’re still not sure whether it’s genuinely mold or not, here are other conditions where this fungus typically thrives in:

  • Warm temperature
  • Dark or dim lighting, and
  • Building materials

Put those all together, and you have the perfect environment for mold to develop. Mold appears as dark blotches across your things. Sure, they might appear as dust or stains, but you’ll notice them spreading when you check on them again at a later time.

Dangers Of Exposure To Your Kids

Mold Buildup At Home - keeping kids safe

Releasing an unpleasant odor and ruining your furniture or clothes aren’t the only things you have to look out for when there’s mold in your home. Since it’s a fungus, inhaling mold spores could trouble for your health because they contain allergens.

But, how can mold affect your children?  These are the three dangers you need to be wary of:

  • Allergic Reaction

Although there are many types of mold, they all have the same purpose: to attack the immune system through allergens. Allergic reaction due to mold exposure can manifest in these symptoms:

  • A runny and itchy nose
  • Breathing problems
  • Fever
  • Sore throat

However, what causes it to be so different from the usual hay fever is how mold spores stick themselves to your respiratory system. So, on top of having these allergic responses, there’s a high chance your lungs could get infected depending on what kind of mold you got into contact with. One example is the ‘black mold,’ which releases lethal spores called ‘mycotoxin’ that latch onto your throat, nasal cavity, and lungs until they inflame without any medical attention.

  • Neurological Influence 

Other than potentially deteriorating your children’s respiratory systems, the black mold’s mycotoxin may also spread out and influence their brains by damaging their neurons, hence, impairing them and causing symptoms, such as:

  • Anxiety
  • Poor attention span
  • Memory problems
  • Dizziness
  • Mood swings
  • Extreme dehydration
  • Trembling
  • Fatigue, and
  • Bed-wetting (for children)
  • Skin And Eye Irritation

Because they’re invisible to the naked eye, you’ll only realize you’re in the vicinity of mold spores once your vision:

  • Turns bloodshot and watery
  • Goes blurry
  • Looks (and feels) swollen

And, since children have extremely delicate skin, mold spores will only cause them to experience:

  • Dry, scaly skin
  • Rashes
  • Red swells

Of course, the severity of these symptoms could vary depending on your immune system, but for children still developing theirs?  Being in the same area as the mold could be highly hazardous for their health. Luckily for everyone, mold remediation West Palm Beach services and in other parts of the world are better equipped to resolve bigger cases of mold.

How To Remove Mold

However, if you think the mold barely measures up to ten feet in both length and width, then you could remove it yourself, but not without proper safety precautions, of course.

    • Prepare your equipment. Since the mold’s barely taking up a lot of space, you can either settle with simple cleaning detergents (like bleach) or go beyond and pair it with strong chemicals (like ammonia).
  • Gear up before getting into cleaning the mold. Eyes, nose, hands—basically, anywhere in contact with the fungus must be protected so you don’t have to worry about getting infected. 
  • Open your windows. Since you’ll be agitating the mold using chemicals, this combination is bound to release a cross between more spores and toxic fumes. By opening the windows, you can let in the fresh air as you work on cleaning up the mold.

On another note, if your mold situation has already spread farther than 10 feet, then you need to contact cleaning professionals to secure you and your family’s safety while they remove the problem. If you want to know more about the expertise of such services, you may watch this video:

Airing It Out

Although it might seem innocent and out-of-the-way, mold can be your family’s worst household enemy, especially for the kids. Because not only will it damage your home, it can also cause serious harm to everyone living in it. However, educating yourself is the best first step in resolving this. So, learn as much as you can about mold, and you can secure a mold-proof home for your family.

Related Articles

Leave a Comment