In a world of self-expression, the hair is a personal centerpiece. It is a statement, reflecting and showing your personality, style, and attitude, just like an outfit or accessories. While many focus on the appearance, it is easy forget to take care of the hair itself. Unfortunately, we see the results of neglected hair in damaged and unruly strands. At the root of unhealthy hair, is an unhealthy scalp. By focusing on the health of your scalp, you will feel and look great. Here are 6 easy treatments that will have your hair glistening in no time!
Why Use Coconut Oil Scalp Treatments
Coconut oil stands out among the hair oils due to the nutrients and moisture it provides the scalp. Vitamins E, K, and lauric acid allow the oil to be very easily absorbed into the hair shaft. When mixed with the 6 different hair treatments below, the coconut oil can be used as a base to reach desired results for your hair. These treatments can help remove product build up, relieve dry, flaking skin, stimulate hair growth and much more. An untreated scalp can lead to several hair problems such as hair loss if the hair follicles are obstructed by build-up sebum. Use the treatments below to nourish your scalp, promote healthy hair, and meet your specific hair goals.
- Bristle Brush – There several different types of bristle brushes. If you have a choice, natural bristles will be best for your scalp treatment. Although any bristle brush will get the job done, it is not recommended to use a plastic bristled brush as it could cause damage to your oil-soaked hair.
- Treatment recipe ingredients – All of these treatments include coconut oil. This oil is a preferred choice for scalp treatments due to the many benefits it offers your hair. In addition, coconut oil is an affordable and a versatile oil that has a pleasant aroma.
1. Moisturizing Treatment – Rosemary and Witch hazel
- 3 drops of Rosemary essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of witch hazel, or distilled water
A few causes of hair loss are because of blood flow and lack of circulation to the scalp. Rosemary essential oil, however, can stimulate both blood flow and circulation that promotes hair growth. Rosemary essential oil is very strong on its own and can cause irritation to the scalp. To prevent any irritation, mix the rosemary with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil. To add an extra boost to your roots, witch hazel acts as an astringent that sooths and balances the scalp.
2. Healing Treatment –The Tree-rific tea tree and rosemary oil
- 4 TBSP softened coconut oil
- 2-4 drops of tea-tree oil ( start with 2 drops and add more if you would like a more intense feel. Tea tree oil can sting and irritate your skin if used to strongly)
- 3-4 drops of rosemary oil
This scalp treatment calls for coconut oil, tea tree oil, and rosemary oil. While coconut oil sooths and moisturizes your scalp, the tea tree oil relieves inflammation, fights dandruff and sooths the scalp. Additionally, rosemary oil combines the benefits with its hair growth attributes. Overall, this scalp treatment will leave you with a noticeably improved scalp.
3. Reinvigorating Treatment – Citrus Conditioning
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit juice
Lemon juice is known to restore the PH balance in your skin, but we often overlook the scalp area as it is covered by our lovely locks. With a scalp treatment that not only mixes the conditioning characteristics of coconut oil, but also adds the balancing citrus elements of lemon and grapefruit juice, your hair will be given a fresh and clean scalp, stimulated and refreshed for new hair growth.
4. Dandruff Fighting Treatment –Sweet, Banana, Honey, and Coconut
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
Bananas are a superfood for your hair. Being rich in antioxidants, potassium, vitamins, and natural oils makes this dandruff fighting scalp treatment one to delight in. Simply take a banana or two depending on the length of your hair, and blend or mash them until smooth. Then add the remainder of the ingredients. Shampoo this scalp treatment out after 20 minutes of soaking into your scalp. Then enjoy your shining, moisturize filled and dandruff free hair after.
5. Stimulating Treatment – The Coffee and Coconut
- 1/4 warm coconut oil
- 2 TBSP coffee grounds
In the same way that rosemary oil increases circulation, coffee does so and then some. Coffee grounds add an exfoliant element that feels great, removes old skin, and encourages blood flow. Additionally, the coffee and coconut combination is a scalp treatment that will leave your hair smelling fantastic. If you have a lighter hair color, switch the coffee out for salt as the dark color could temporary give your hair a brownish tint.
6. Nourishing Treatment – Oatmeal and Brown Sugar
- 2 TBSP oat flour. (simply blend 2 tablespoons of oats in a coffee grinder or blender)
- 1 TBSP of water – mix with the oat flower to make a paste.
- Add 1 TBSP of brown sugar
For those with dandruff or an irritated scalp, this treatment is for you. Oatmeal works wonders for your skin through its soothing properties. The fiber in the oatmeal and the brown sugar work together as a gentle exfoliator and remove the dry flaky top layer of your skin. Once the scalp is exfoliated, the anti-inflammatory powers of the oatmeal can start to work their magic. This natural treatment is ideal for people with flaky, dry and slightly irritated skin. Oatmeal is high in fiber and anti-inflammatory, moisturizing, and a very gentle exfoliator.
7. Clarifying Treatment – Baking Soda & Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut Oil as a Protectant
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 1-2 TBSP Coconut oil (for the ends of your hair)
Baking Soda and ACV are amazing water softeners. This scalp and hair treatment is the most effective express method to rid of build up and to balance your PH levels internally and externally. The best environment to do this one is in the shower. Processing time is minimal, but the process can be messy.
Because baking soda is a stripping agent, you’ll want to use it ONLY on the scalp. Avoid using the remainder of the baking soda and apple cider vinegar mixture on the rest of the hair shaft. Instead, protect the ends of your hair with 1 -2 TBSP of coconut oil. Start with covering the shafts of your hair with coconut oil, then apply the apple cider vinegar and baking soda mixture to your scalp. Leave this treatment on for only 3 minutes as it works fast! Then, rinse with cold water to seal the cuticle. Your hair will be clarified at the roots and scalp with glowing and refreshed strands.
8. Balancing Treatment – Coconut Oil & Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons of warm coconut
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda – Whisk together
If you feel your needs a little detoxification but also want added moisture and shine? This is the right treatment for you! In this recipe, the baking soda forms a strong paste of healing wonders. The baking soda lightly exfoliates while removing any build up on your scalp from shampoo and conditioner. Then, the coconut oil swoops in a adds moisture to the recently cleaned strands.
Mix all ingredients together, heating slightly to a warm (but not hot) temperature if you choose.
Start on dry hair as the dryness will allow the oils to absorb better. Start at the scalp and work the treatment toward the ends of your hair. You can use an applicator brush or simply your bristled brush to make sure the treatment is soaking in on the scalp. The bristled brush will help exfoliate the scalp and stimulate circulation which is why it is an important step of the scalp treatment.
- Once you have covered the entire scalp with the oil mixture, use your hands to massage your head. Circular motions are a great place to start, then work your fingers over the more sore areas that need a little extra attention.
- Leave the treatment in for about 20 minutes, then wash the mixture out with a shampoo and conditioner.
- There is no need to drench the ends of your hair. Try to simply focus on your scalp. You may even find that using too much oil will be difficult to wash out right away.
- A friend can be a great help to reaching your whole scalp, plus it feels so much better than applying the oils yourself. If you can get a friend to aid you, make sure to return the favor in giving them a scalp treatment as well.
- Have fun and use each treatment once a week to once a month!